old VW Kombi vans

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
thisisreallycomplicated

old VW Kombi vans

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:47 am

I'm thinking about getting an old VW Kombi van (maybe a 1990 or newer), and camperizing it. Does anyone here have any experience with these, and/or any advice (like it's not a good idea)?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

MikieO

Re: old VW Kombi vans

Postby MikieO » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 am

I've owned 2 in the US. Great fun and cheap. In LA it's different IMO.
"Made in Brazil" should tell you that these are not the combi vans of yore.
Maybe they are great?
DYODD.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

MikieO wrote:"Made in Brazil" should tell you that these are not the combi vans of yore.

How good are Brazilian made VW's in general?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
MikieO wrote:"Made in Brazil" should tell you that these are not the combi vans of yore.

How good are Brazilian made VW's in general?

I had one in Peru. If you weren't able to get a German made one (gold) the next best was Brazil.

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Provided that you're a motorhead, you can probably take one nonstop around the world several times. The aircooled flat-opposing-4 motors are easiest to work on but not the strongest or most efficient. Try for one with a single carburetor unless you like playing back-and-forth with a vacuum gauge (which you keep in the car because you need to adjust the flow once a week or sometimes sooner).

rasmataz

Postby rasmataz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:28 am

My fist two cars were VW's, a 1964 bug and then a 1970 Sundial Camper van. Easiest thing in world to work on with the help of the Idiot Manual. I remember that I was able to do complete tune-up in under 45 minutes (you had to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles). I miss that simplicity.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:16 pm

It sounds like exactly what I want, except I'm beginning to notice there's not much in front of the driver (me) in case of a head on collision. It's gotta be safer than a motorcycle, and I was dumb enough to ride one of those cross-country once. I suppose I could keep lots of room in front of me, and be really careful around blind spots, and that would lower the chances of it happening.

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Newtonian ejector seats.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 pm

ExpatBob wrote:Newtonian ejector seats.

With my luck, I'd be under a bridge when it happened.

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
ExpatBob wrote:Newtonian ejector seats.

With my luck, I'd be under a bridge when it happened.

That's ok because they push you out the front :)

ABIII

Postby ABIII » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:33 am

check out this club kleinbus.cl
always best to consult with the fanatics

a friend had the brazilian one, it has plenty of space, the engine isn't thaat underpowered,
the suspension is quite comfortable
and your legs are your front bumper

the design is of course as simple as it gets
breakdowns can be handled by anyone on the continent, hopefully yourself (get this book http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Vol ... gmgamzn-20 )
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

ABIII wrote:check out this club kleinbus.cl
always best to consult with the fanatics

I missed that one (cuz it's all in Spanish) thanks

ABIII wrote:and your legs are your front bumper

That's the part that worries me. Maybe the extra fear would cause me to drive more carefully, so it would actually be safer? I need to find some way to rationalize this.

ABIII wrote:the design is of course as simple as it gets
breakdowns can be handled by anyone on the continent, hopefully yourself (get this book http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Vol ... gmgamzn-20 )

That's one thing I really like about these. There's less that can go wrong, and I can probably fix it myself.

Return to “Travel in Chile”