Cat calls when I am with my children.

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
momof3

Cat calls when I am with my children.

Postby momof3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Don't excuse them because of their social class strata. Don't excuse them because, hey, they are men. Don't excuse them because they are latin. I have tried to ignore them, but when they are within spitting distance and my young children have to see and hear it it F****** PISSES ME OFF.
We agree to disagree.

Andres

Re: Cat calls when I am with my children.

Postby Andres » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Verbatim response from and by my Chilena polola:
You must not have been here long.
After you are in Chile for awhile, when you leave and no one does it any more, you will start missing them and wondering whether you were as pretty as you thought you were.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.

trabajo en progreso

Postby trabajo en progreso » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Sorry, momof3, it sucks and it's not ok :(

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

gf gets sick of it too!, they even do it when im with her, lucky they haven't had a fist in the face! never going to end in this lifetime!, and if your blond its 10 times worse!....

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:32 pm

zer0nz wrote:gf gets sick of it too!, they even do it when im with her, lucky they haven't had a fist in the face! never going to end in this lifetime!, and if your blond its 10 times worse!....

I wonder how many chileno males get their ass kicked when they visit hic town USA or urban ghetto USA with the way they tend to stare and piropo? :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

momof3

Postby momof3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Andres wrote:Verbatim response from and by my Chilena polola:
After you are in Chile for awhile, when you leave and no one does it any more, you will start missing them and wondering whether you were as pretty as you thought you were.

Dear Chilean Polola, You missed the point.1- My young children are involved.2- I have lived elsewhere and no I did NOT miss this behaviour. Hopefully someday you will experience life in a country where women are treated with greater respect. Then and only then will you appreciate that as modern as Chile appears to be, the women here are living decades behind Europe and the USA in terms of rights and respect.
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Postby momof3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm

trabajo en progreso wrote:Sorry, momof3, it sucks and it's not ok :(

Thanks. Alone is one thing, but I get sick to my stomach when my kids ask "Mommy, why are they saying that to you?" Even when I turn around and beg them for repect as a mother they grab their balls, smile and pat each other on the back because I paid attention to them. Single, I don't care: with children- Mother Bear.
We agree to disagree.

trabajo en progreso

Postby trabajo en progreso » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:36 pm

momof3 wrote:

Dear Chilean Polola, You missed the point.1- My young children are involved.2- I have lived elsewhere and no I did NOT miss this behaviour. Hopefully someday you will experience life in a country where women are treated with greater respect. Then and only then will you appreciate that as modern as Chile appears to be, the women here are living decades behind Europe and the USA in terms of rights and respect.

Eloquent response, I started to respond to that post but was gobsmacked for a bit, then couldn't think of any way to say what you just wrote without being very blunt and not very eloquent :lol:

momof3

Postby momof3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
zer0nz wrote:gf gets sick of it too!, they even do it when im with her, lucky they haven't had a fist in the face! never going to end in this lifetime!, and if your blond its 10 times worse!....

I wonder how many chileno males get their ass kicked when they visit hic town USA or urban ghetto USA with the way they tend to stare and piropo? :mrgreen:

Blonde- check. So tempting to tint my hair dark. Oh if only I could go "Ghetto" on them with a mob of angry NOW members. I just hate "taking" it because my daughter may then think this is acceptable. I need some comebacks that actually work on Chilean men who stoop to this level.
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Postby momof3 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 pm

trabajo en progreso wrote:
momof3 wrote:

Eloquent response, I started to respond to that post but was gobsmacked for a bit, then couldn't think of any way to say what you just wrote without being very blunt and not very eloquent :lol:

Yeah, tempting, but she would not get it. I remember broaching the subject of driving with my Saudi students. Why? The men do it already?
We agree to disagree.

fahrvergnugen

Postby fahrvergnugen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:38 pm

My wife is somewhat of a looker, ex French model. I somewhat hit the lottery when I hitched her - long legs that don't quit, beautiful face, very attractive demeanor.

Now, if we go to Chile and they do this with me in tow there would be trouble. There is no way I would leave this unchallenged and I do know how to handle myself in the streets. What I'd like to know is how Chilean treats this type of stuff - assuming a some idiots make cat calls and I wind up kicking their collective butts - do I need to be worried about doing some serious time or would I at most have to pay una multa?

I know this sounds a bit macho and I'm not out to start fights - I usually avoid them as much as possible. But I am a bit old fashioned and this would be something I would have a hard time with. Letting some guys call after my wife with me around is just unacceptable.

I know what you guys are thinking - he better not move to Chile? LOL :-)

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm

fahrvergnugen wrote:My wife is somewhat of a looker, ex French model. I somewhat hit the lottery when I hitched her - long legs that don't quit, beautiful face, very attractive demeanor.

Now, if we go to Chile and they do this with me in tow there would be trouble. There is no way I would leave this unchallenged and I do know how to handle myself in the streets. What I'd like to know is how Chilean treats this type of stuff - assuming a some idiots make cat calls and I wind up kicking their collective butts - do I need to be worried about doing some serious time or would I at most have to pay una multa?

I know this sounds a bit macho and I'm not out to start fights - I usually avoid them as much as possible. But I am a bit old fashioned and this would be something I would have a hard time with. Letting some guys call after my wife with me around is just unacceptable.

I know what you guys are thinking - he better not move to Chile? LOL :-)

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen, it has not changed in the 25 years I have been in Chile, and will not change for you, normal women ignore it period.............
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/

Return to “Thorn Tree Chile”