Teaching english

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
cosmodyseeus

Teaching english

Postby cosmodyseeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Someone told me you don't need to know much spanish to speak english in South America is this true?

zer0nz

Re: Teaching english

Postby zer0nz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Seems like common sense, one doesnt need to know spanish to speak english in south america.... very true...

However to teach english in south america.... also not much spanish is required.... except maybe if you want to get too and from work and ask for a job in the first place

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:12 pm

cosmodyseeus wrote:Someone told me you don't need to know much spanish to speak english in South America is this true?

As pointed out in the Elqui Valley the towns are very small and many of the occupants already speak English of some form or other and the rest can’t afford lessons so they just hang around English speakers learning the language by osmosis. The first town of any size is La Serena on the coast.

I’m up there early next week looking at a vineyard. I’ll let you know what’s happening, our winegrower lives in the valley.
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/

paladin

Postby paladin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm

To speak English- anywhere in the world, you don´t need to know any language except English!!!!!!!!!!

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:58 pm

patagoniax wrote:
paladin wrote:To speak English- anywhere in the world, you don´t need to know any language except English!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a trick question. You know, like The Givenchy Code or something.

Unless it's German.
It's all about the wine.

El Zorro

Postby El Zorro » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Inasmuch as the title of the thread is “Teaching english,” I’d venture to say that the thrust of the inquiry is about what it takes to teach “english.” I’m not sure about that, but I do know that to teach English—a well-known language—one needs to know it to the point of being aware that the name of the language is capitalized, as are other proper names. Furthermore, it is also necessary to know where to place commas and additional punctuation marks, to say the least.

On the other hand, perhaps “english” doesn’t require one to bother with so many details. Probably “you don't need to know much spanish,” either.

cosmodyseeus

Postby cosmodyseeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm

patagoniax wrote:
cosmodyseeus wrote:Someone told me you don't need to know much spanish to speak english in South America is this true?

That is correct. The less Spanish you know, the better your English may be.

You have selected wise counsel, Grasshopper.

Pray tell us, did you do a lot of drugs when you were younger?

I don't remember

cosmodyseeus

Postby cosmodyseeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm

El Zorro wrote:Inasmuch as the title of the thread is “Teaching english,” I’d venture to say that the thrust of the inquiry is about what it takes to teach “english.” I’m not sure about that, but I do know that to teach English—a well-known language—one needs to know it to the point of being aware that the name of the language is capitalized, as are other proper names. Furthermore, it is also necessary to know where to place commas and additional punctuation marks, to say the least.

On the other hand, perhaps “english” doesn’t require one to bother with so many details. Probably “you don't need to know much spanish,” either.

I type quickly when I'm in a hurry

cosmodyseeus

Postby cosmodyseeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Sorry everyone I meant "teach" not "speak"

cosmodyseeus

Postby cosmodyseeus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:08 pm

nwdiver wrote:

As pointed out in the Elqui Valley the towns are very small and many of the occupants already speak English of some form or other and the rest can’t afford lessons so they just hang around English speakers learning the language by osmosis. The first town of any size is La Serena on the coast.

I’m up there early next week looking at a vineyard. I’ll let you know what’s happening, our winegrower lives in the valley.

Yes please any information on La Serena the better especially about yes, jobs, but also the layout, and the surrounding countryside if such exists and pretty much whatever you got, thank you

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 am

cosmodyseeus wrote:
nwdiver wrote:

Yes please any information on La Serena the better especially about yes, jobs, but also the layout, and the surrounding countryside if such exists and pretty much whatever you got, thank you

Google Earth will show you the strip of green in the middle of all the shades of brown.
It's all about the wine.

Return to “Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile”