Immigrating

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

WhatSayYou

Immigrating

Postby WhatSayYou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew the extent of immigration to Chile. If you can become a full citizen, do you get full rights accorded to someone actually born there? For example, could I serve in the Chilean army? Or is this right reserved for born Chileans? I am just curious. I can't seem to find the information anywhere else. Thank you for your time.

zer0nz

Re: Immigrating

Postby zer0nz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm

are you a rusian spy wanting to infultrate the chilean army?

kinda of a weird question to ask......

WhatSayYou

Postby WhatSayYou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Not really? I am just not going to immigrate to a country that doesn't give me full citizenship ever. Being a half-citizen isn't very fun.

La_Tini

Postby La_Tini » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Oh, that reminds me of something I always wanted to know. Do you ever get a right to vote as a foreign citizen with residencia definitiva, if you chose to not become a Chilean citizen?

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:18 pm

WhatSayYou wrote:Not really? I am just not going to immigrate to a country that doesn't give me full citizenship ever. Being a half-citizen isn't very fun.

as px you get everything,

the only benifits i see over perm res is ...

1. you get to vote, no point really politics here are a mess
2. gun ownership ??? as px said.... wow
3. a chilean passport...
4. no requirement to be in country certain amount of time to keep residence....
5. politician?????? ref punto uno....

What else?

WhatSayYou

Postby WhatSayYou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:27 pm

That's all pretty solid information. Thank you, to all who responded.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 pm

WhatSayYou wrote:For example, could I serve in the Chilean army? Or is this right reserved for born Chileans? I am just curious. I can't seem to find the information anywhere else. Thank you for your time.

No, I can confirm that it's not necessary to be born Chilean to serve in the army.
patagoniax wrote:And then why you would want to join the Chilean army, for crissake?

Admittedly most people considering another citizenship would prefer to renounce one in order to avoid joining the army than take one on to be able to join but still, the Chilean military shouldn't entirely be written off as a career opportunity, it's certainly well enough funded, the air force seems to be capable and Admin here has said good things about them and their performance during the earthquake. The navy is apparently not bad, though there have been reports of poor discipline in port from them, and some army units have a good reputation, for example the Alpine (well, Andean really) that operate mostly along the border with Argentina. The Chilean military seems to have made a determined effort to leave its past behind, and recent commanders in chief have explicitly accepted the supremacy of the civilian government.

Some units of the carabineros, I believe the GOPE units responsible for drug traffic interdiction also have a good reputation.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:03 pm

FrankPintor wrote:the Chilean military shouldn't entirely be written off as a career opportunity

Yes it should, at least at officer-level. The academic and physical requirements to enter the escuela militar are quite stringent, and even if you are a suitable candidate, if you come from the "wrong" sort of background you won´t get a lookin. And pitutos play a big part in the selection as well.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.

WhatSayYou

Postby WhatSayYou » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah, I just need to know if I actually immigrate to Chile and attain my citizenship if I can serve. PX said it was 18-24, but the CIA factbook claims you can volunteer between the ages of 18 and 45. I think a military career would be important. I plan to fully renounce my American citizenship. Serving Chile with my life would be something I'd like to do to prove my devotion to my new country.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 pm

From http://www.escuelamilitar.cl/index.php? ... Itemid=227
Edad máxima 22 años al mes de febrero del año de ingreso.

From http://www.ejercito.cl/preguntas-frecuentes.php
Tener entre 19 y 24 años de edad.

2 minutes on Google
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 pm

I think all the spots in the military are taken, they have been all taken by volunteers even when service was mandatory, if you said “no thanks I really don’t want to serve” they said ok we have a list of volunteer recruit have a good day.
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah, I know they want to visit your home to ensure you're of good character, not from a broken home, etc etc. This might be a hurdle for a recent immigrant. I have no doubt the pituto network is alive and well but the simple fact the the Chilean military functions better than the country as a whole suggests it's not the whole story.. of course, that's not to say whether an individual application will be successful or not. As part of the intake process (for officer school, I'm not talking obligatory military service here) there is a psychological assessment which even normal well-balanced individuals could be excused for failing.. an example question is to draw a man in the rain. Your have to know how to do this stuff, if you imagined a soaking wet guy in a southern-hemisphere downpour you're not going anywhere, points are awarded for imagining a shelter, for example a cave, tree, or because modern life has penetrated everywhere these days, a bus-stop on a dirt road will do too. You might reasonably need more than one go to get past this hurdle.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Return to “New Users Start Here: FORUM NEWS”