Advice on Permancia Definitiva

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Amar

Advice on Permancia Definitiva

Postby Amar » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone out there can give me some advice. I've applied for Perm Residency (Jan 11) and as of today am still waiting for a reply, by next Friday it will have been 9 whole months. My question is, does anyone know how long this process takes/can take to complete?

I was under the impression that whilst the Visa is in process somebody would be checking the details on my application e.g. phoning my employer to see if I really work where I say I work, or write to my gf to ask if I really do live with her etc. etc. As far as I can tell none of that fact checking has taken place. So just out of curiosity, what the hell are they doing with my application?

I went to my Visa office in Sept, and they advised me that it's still in process and that I should come by at the end of October, which I will do, but I just don't understand why it takes so long to either say yes or no.

Does anybody have any other experiences similar to mine or is going through something similar?

Also, I read the post about expats and their Visa woes and solutions etc. When I applied for mine, the jefe at the Visa office kindly wrote out a letter called "Certificado" which basically stated my name, RUT number etc. and explains that my Visa is in process and that I am legally able to work and carry out activities whilst my Visa is in process. This came in extremely handy when I went to pick up my wages from the bank (as the expiry date on my ID had ran out and I was refused my money!). The look on the cashier's face when she read the part about being in contravention of law number XXX if she didn't comply with the letter was fun! So, if you have any difficulties ask your Visa office to write this letter out - it's an official doc. I guess this would solve the "having a ID card whilst waiting for your Visa" issue I suppose?

Hope to hear from you (anyone!)

Regards,

Amar

zer0nz

Re: Advice on Permancia Definitiva

Postby zer0nz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Between 6 - 11 Months..... from the stories i have read :),

Have you checked the status on the website?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Yea, about 5-7 months is the current time we have, assuming no problems or request for more info. 9 months sounds like they might be flagging a problem, and it can take a month or more just for the notice to make it to the local office. That is just a guess, more likely they are just being slow.

They seem to have totally broken the visa processing system at the santiago office with their "efficiency improvements".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment services in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Either call, as the previous poster said, or there is their online inquiry web form, somewhere on this site: http://siac.interior.gob.cl/

Your question goes directly to Santiago office, wherein they [obviously] have direct access to their database, and the status of your app in the system, and if anything is missing, or what not.

They are prompt, generally, and should respond quickly.
"waking up should always be free" ~ a free wake up call service

SlimDickins

Postby SlimDickins » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm surprised at you needing to get some special letter written out...didn't you get a stamped copy of the visa application back?? I sent mine in also in January of this year and then a month or so later the copy of the application with all the official 'timbres' saying it would be another 6 months came back to me in the mail along with a cover letter explaining things were accepted but in 'tramite.' Now, it's been, as you said, 9 months and counting. The web site is just a waste of time and I think it's better spent calling daily or whatever and continue bugging them until something gives.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm

SlimDickins wrote: The web site is just a waste of time.

If I only may ask: how many times the very same website [noted in the above post] was used by you, so that was just a "waste of time"? Personally, I received detailed, and informative responses from them to at least 6 inquiries, regarding both temp. and perm. applications.

La_Tini

Postby La_Tini » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Don´t worry, my Permanencia Definitiva took almost a year, it´s a big mystery why it´s so slow, but no reason to get nervous!

Amar

Postby Amar » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you for all the responses, much appreciated.

I filled in a request for more information at OIRS so hopefully I should get a response soon, but I'll also call up on Monday. I remember though, the few times I did call them up in Santiago they always used to tell me my Visa office in Conce had the latest information. Just hope one of them knows what's going on!

Cheers!

cali_chile48

Postby cali_chile48 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am

I applied in January, 2010. In November, they gave their answer: No. But they issued me another work visa for 1 year, which expires next month. I had to wait until this month (October) to re-apply, and I have done that.

I first thought that the process was slow for me in 2010 because we had a little earthquake followed immediately by a new presidential administration. My view is simpler now. It's just slow.

Amar

Postby Amar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 pm

I just called the Visa office in Santiago and they said no answer just yet, please call again next week. The advisor never mentioned anything about missing documents or that they needed more info, so I guess they're being slow about it.

cali_chile48, can I ask the reason they gave for denying your Visa in 2010 and did you have to pay for the new Work Visa? It seems like such a pain in the ass when you have to wait a long time for an answer and then when you do get one, it's not the one you want.

Thanks!

SlimDickins

Postby SlimDickins » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
SlimDickins wrote: The web site is just a waste of time.

If I only may ask: how many times the very same website [noted in the above post] was used by you, so that was just a "waste of time"? Personally, I received detailed, and informative responses from them to at least 6 inquiries, regarding both temp. and perm. applications.

O.K., in your case the site gave you something...in my case after 5+ visits I got the same message..."in tramite", which to me translates to nothing, so in short, my time was NOT seen as worth the redundant inputting of my data to some faceless program. Don't you think they could state a little more honestly at the start of the process that the variables are such that they truly have NO idea how long it will take, rather than make the empty promise of processing it in 6 months or less??!!

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 pm

There are two separate web sites. The first one is an online interface to their automated system showing the status. The web site address is: https://consultas.extranjeria.gov.cl/index.jsp

The second one, that was included in my earlier post, is their web inquiry form, that is answered by humans, usually in 24 - 48 hours (as my experience show). I only wanted to make sure that we both are now talking about the later, human answered, website.

If so -- then yes, our experience may vary.

Return to “Legal Issues”