Jobs in Santiago: Computer Science/Electronics Engineers

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
chile_jobs

Jobs in Santiago: Computer Science/Electronics Engineers

Postby chile_jobs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:12 pm

There are several open job reqs in the Synopsys R&D Center in Santiago de Chile, e.g.:
- C / C++ software developers, and
- Electronics engineers for CAE positions with experience in EDA and digital electronics design (VHDL, Verilog, SystemVerilog, FPGA, etc.).

If you are interested then please send your CV in English to the following email:
jobs-chile@synopsys.com

"Expats" who want to stay at least two years and preferably longer are certainly welcome and will be received with open arms.

Job ad for software developers:

Do You want to write the Software used to Change our Lives?

Synopsys Software is used to design the hearts of products that change our way of doing things.

Become part of the Synopsys Chile R&D Center and join the most successful team of Chilean engineers in the software for electronics industry.

Synopsys, after 5 successful years of operation in Chile, is growing its local operations and is looking for the best professionals to develop high tech software.

Job Description:
-Employee will engage in R&D effort in the core infrastructure for the next generation of Electronic Design Automation (EDA) software.
-Responsibilities include writing functional and design specifications, designing and developing the infrastructure, integration and unit testing, and working with worldwide cross functional teams such as other R&D and QA groups.

Requirements :
-Engineering in Computer Science / Electronics or equivalent
-Software engineering background
-Experience in C/C++ (Java/C#) programming
-Software development and debugging experience in Unix/Linux environment
-0 to 5 years of experience developing large scale software applications
-Analytical and problem solving skills
-Good teamwork skills
-Good communication skills in English

Contact Synopsys CHILE now!

Send your resume in English to
jobs-chile@synopsys.com

www.synopsys.com

Cayte

Re: Jobs in Santiago: Computer Science/Electronics Engineers

Postby Cayte » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 am

OK, so you gone and done it. You smoked me out, goofing off down here in Chile!
As of now, exactly zero persons have responded to this thread.
But since this was probably written just for me, I will do my civic duty and respond, sort of.

Yes, I did recently work, for years, with a wonderful team of software development engineers at Cadence, a competitor of Synopsys and Mentor Graphics. We designed and implemented the guts of the Cadence SystemVerilog compiler-simulator tool, consisting of recursive descent parser, elaborator, code generator, simulator, VPI "C" interface, and run time TCL interface, accessed through the GUI. I, under the tutelage of the brilliant Jonathan D. and glamorous Françoise M., had the privilege of designing a number of SystemVerilog constructs and features, most notably the Virtual Interface implementation. I also managed to elegantly worm into the elaborator a deceptively simple "Tarjan" algorithm for sorting and ordering cyclic dependencies of "Overlay Tables", which converged in N time, for arbitrarily large user chip designs. We used Clearcase version control, and meta-data private branching, to keep track of many software versions and allow engineers from various locations to test their additions, without affecting everyone else. Whenever new functionality was added, we created relevant regression test cases. The regression test suite was immense, and was indispensable for proving that our changes did not break currently working software, on the various supported platforms.

This was a great job, with really excellent people, which was so hard to leave. But their only mistake was to pay too high wages. So after saving up some money, I quit, and decided to go on a vacation of indeterminate duration, here in sunny Chile. At least for now, I have the time to learn Schileno and Deutsch, shop at La Vega, and attend some excellent concerts, like the one last night, performed by pianist Christoph Scheffelt, over at the nearby Club Deportivo Manquehue. But, if my job and team had been located in Switzerland, or alpine Europe, I would have stayed on.

Then you read things like this, which appeared yesterday on the allchile forum:

> Re: Countdown to the U.S. default, downgrade, or devaluation
> Postby Red » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 am
> G/J
> The patsies in this tragedy are (most of) those who already have wealth-
> it will be evaporated- that's the source of the real devastation going forward
> Let's see, the little girl is about 2-3, mom is around 30.
> I'd say the grandparents, probably in their 50s-60s, are most likely to be decimated.
> They are the ones with the $, right? The other generations are the turnips
> ya can't squeeze blood from. One way or another they won't like it and will rebel;
> they have time and youth on their side- the two ingredients needed to recover.
> By and large the grandparents haven't a clue as to how to protect themselves.
> They've never disciplined themselves to determine who the real enemies are-
> at least the enemies of their wealth. Best to hope they get along well with their kids.
> Red
> Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
> Posts: 66
> Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 pm

So, guess who the patsy is. Yours truly!
There is zero incentive to bust your brain, while sleeping, on intractable software problems, to make profits for corporations, when the current popularly elected governments have contempt for the accounting of past earned wealth. What remains is the motivation to live long, live well, do not work by trading time to bank currency that "the Bernack" gleefully promises to devalue, and avoid voluntary participation in the "politburo" economy, as much as possible. So, one more primary industry engineering job out of the country for good. My replacement is a happy motivated engineer, located in China, who earns a good deal less than I did, and probably works a lot harder. Don't expect to ever see these jobs in the US ever again...

I suppose, that in a few years, when the dollar falls down to 50 Chileno pesos, my "vacation" will finally be over. Undoubtedly, by then, a nice job opportunity at Synopsis, in Chile, would not be available. I could end up licking toilets clean with the tongue, for a bowl of rice, in order to survive, but that would hopefully be located in Switzerland.

So ist aber das Leben!
"When you see that men get richer by graft than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You know your society is doomed"

chile_jobs

Postby chile_jobs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Cayte,

Yes, c'est la vie.

It is nice that you gathered some wealth and are able to live from it in Chile.
Unfortunately not all of us have had this privilege and therefore the rest has to work to be able to support their families and/or develop their lives.
We all are free to decide, but this includes in some cases also exchanging voluntarily some aspects of our freedom, e.g. if you decide to found a family, then you have traded some parts of your overall liberty to do what you wish with the responsibility and the social net of a family unit that gives you joy, happiness and reason to live.
I understand your arguments, but if you are forced to work, then at least it is a good idea to work on a challenging and interesting job in a company where you are valued, and you can have success based on your contribution.
That is not that common, because elsewhere you will find nepotism, preferences, and laziness that result in mediocre systems, and these do not make happy.

The only way not to produce profits for someone else is to create your own company, but then on the other hand you have all the risk and all the profits: you are depending on your clients, market, chance, time frames etc. And as you say: you will still depend on the society you live in that is integrated in a global system and can be affected by external factors.
Switzerland too has its "globally" imported problems because of the weak USD and EUR: the Franc is getting more and more expensive and the economy that is mostly exporting becomes less and less competitive.

Currently Chile has advantages compared to other outsourcing locations:
- The attrition rate is very low compared to e.g. India and even lower than China, i.e. in Chile employees stay longer with a company.
- Cost is competitive to India; and China is getting more and more expensive.
- The time zone is more or less East Coast.
- etc.

So if someone is interested in growing professionally then he could try it at Synopsys Chile.

Cayte

Postby Cayte » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi chile_jobs,

I tried sending you private mail, but it did not seem to take, as you may have disabled private message receipt. But If you are located here, in Santiago, perhaps we could get together, for a beer, as it would be fun to talk. You probably know some people from Cadence. We live near Escuela Militar, in Las Condes. You should be able to send us private mail.
"When you see that men get richer by graft than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You know your society is doomed"

SantiagoFox

Postby SantiagoFox » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:27 pm

What sort of salaries are currently being paid for C++ software engineers with plenty of experience ?
Cheers.

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:35 pm

SantiagoFox wrote:What sort of salaries are currently being paid for C++ software engineers with plenty of experience ?
Cheers.

same at those without experience,

your best bet for good money is jumping on the startup chile bandwagon and finding a startup.....

I would expect you might get $600.000 - $1.200.000 a month, they only way to break past that range is to be in management.....

chile_jobs

Postby chile_jobs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Synopsys Chile considers and values relative experience, and unlike other Chilean companies it has a dual career ladder (technical and management),
i.e. you are able to continue your career on the technical ladder, e.g. a Synopsys Fellow (technical) would be equivalent to a Vice President (management),
and usually people in different ladders at the same grade and with equal performance earn the same.

Furthermore Synopsys Chile has a lot of extra benefits which you will not find all at another local company.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 pm

There is this American myth, or perhaps there is another cultural source for it, that anyone can better their situation by just starting their own business. What they don't tell you is, most fail.

Someone I know that took the General Contractors license exam in CA, told me that before the exam the instructor told them something like, "most of you are going to fail miserably, not because you do not know how to build but because you do not know how to run a business".

I have seen it with everyone from artist to programmers. Most can not simply go out and start their own business and make a living at it.

I have crashed and burned plenty of my own over the years, before getting the hang of it. I realized at some point that the possibility that any particular business might fail is part of doing business, and you can not get too emotionally attached to a business or you will fail big right along with it. Cut your losses, and pick up the pieces. For most people, that is just way too much uncertainty in their life.

In Chile, most people I think seem to grasp that (or more exactly cling to it), and thus why they stick around at their jobs (even bad ones). Most Chileans have a deer in the headlights look when I talk to them about starting a business. The thought is terrifying to most of them, and few do it without some other source of income.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment services in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

SantiagoFox

Postby SantiagoFox » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 pm

zer0nz wrote:
SantiagoFox wrote:What sort of salaries are currently being paid for C++ software engineers with plenty of experience ?
Cheers.

your best bet for good money is jumping on the startup chile bandwagon and finding a startup.....

I would expect you might get $600.000 - $1.200.000 a month, they only way to break past that range is to be in management.....

Thanks for the reply. I'm used to seeing job ads that state the salary range on offer, but this seems to be rare in Chile, and you have to guess what sort of salary to ask for. This must be difficult to pitch at the right level. Are any of the agencies any help here ?

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:28 pm

SantiagoFox wrote:
zer0nz wrote:
Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I'm used to seeing job ads that state the salary range on offer, but this seems to be rare in Chile, and you have to guess what sort of salary to ask for. This must be difficult to pitch at the right level. Are any of the agencies any help here ?

Only really in mining and ceo level........

neklo

Postby neklo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 pm

This is just ridiculous. I really thought I'd be able to make a living in programming here. I thought there might be a market for highly skilled programmers, paying a decent salary, not enough to get rich on but enough to support a family without sinking into debt. Apparently not.

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 pm

neklo wrote:This is just ridiculous. I really thought I'd be able to make a living in programming here. I thought there might be a market for highly skilled programmers, paying a decent salary, not enough to get rich on but enough to support a family without sinking into debt. Apparently not.

programming no, managing them yes...

Return to “Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile”