Any Google Android Users Here?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Any Google Android Users Here?

Postby zer0nz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Just got my self a new Samsung Galaxy S (dodgy deal on facebook), but works fine, its the GT-i9000B (B for brazil model),

Works great, I have unlocked it from moviestar (its now on entel), and installed a custom firmware to get rid of the movistar crap, and make it alot faster (and i mean alot faaster)....

Went to buy my first piece of software(app) today, Ndrive GPS navigation and maps for chile....

After 5 emails back and forward to the company who sells the software, Guess what... google does not allow purchasing of market apps in chile? go figure, argentina has it, brazil has it, just not chile...

Im guessing its something to do with the banking system here? who knows,

Ended up getting the app by putting my NZ sim card in the phone, connecting tot he market over wifi, then buying the app from the market on my laptop with my new zealand credit card....

any one have other tips for andorid users in chile?

PenquistaDeCorazon

Re: Any Google Android Users Here?

Postby PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 pm

charlescellist

Postby charlescellist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Not sure about google, but i believe there's no iTunes store also? Even Mexico has iTunes...
Well - at least we're the first place in the world to have net neutrality!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/chil ... y-we-star/

PenquistaDeCorazon

Postby PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

charlescellist wrote:Not sure about google, but i believe there's no iTunes store also? Even Mexico has iTunes...

It's been a while since I bought anything on iTunes but here in Canada there were apps that were not available on itunes canadian store. A workaround for me was to buy US iTune store cards (either on eBay or physically) and create a US account that way.....
Another workaround I tried last year is this one:
http://www.mythoughtsonthings.com/archi ... redit-card

Steph

Postby Steph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

the itunes store is different in every country (release dates, apps, music, etc available). but with a chilean credit card, you cannot set one up at all. They will not accept a chilean address as registration (perhaps if you have a chilean credit card with a foreign address, but not sure). I do see chileans with iphones all the time, really should ask them how they get that sorted. We set ours up with aus itunes account.

Sorry zer0nz, I know you were asking about android, not iphones. My thought at the time when we worked out we could not register chilean Iphones with itunes in chile was that perhaps it has something to do with chileans copyright laws (or lack thereof)?

Ripsigg

Postby Ripsigg » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Iphone=ugh :mrgreen:

If you haven't already, root your phone and use the link for that market enabler a few posts back up.

Another option? If you got a US amazon account, load up the Amazon Appstore. Google for it or just visit Amazon.com in your browser and look for a link to it. Amazon has their very own market of apps and they promise a different paid app for free everyday.

You can also use Amazon to buy Mp3s without DRM that you can store in the Amazon cloud(to stream on your Android phone whenever you want) as well as download to put on any device.

I frankly can't imagine why anyone would even bother buying an Iphone anymore?!?

otravers

Postby otravers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 pm

I have the same phone and was similarly aggravated by Google's screwed up marketplace. Search the web and you'll see people are pissed off about this all over the world, not just in Chile. Just search the web for the name of your application +apk and you'll usually find officious copies. That's how I got Skype or Chrome to Phone. Yes even some free applications are not available everywhere! This is retarded beyond comprehension (yeah yeah I know all the bullshit official reasons like pandering to phone carriers - it's still diamond-grade stupid). Just like with the absence of any decent and affordable online music service in Chile, my answer to this nonsense is: "you know what, you won't sell it to me so I'll get it for free."

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:54 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon wrote:
charlescellist wrote:Not sure about google, but i believe there's no iTunes store also? Even Mexico has iTunes...

It's been a while since I bought anything on iTunes but here in Canada there were apps that were not available on itunes canadian store. A workaround for me was to buy US iTune store cards (either on eBay or physically) and create a US account that way.....
Another workaround I tried last year is this one:
http://www.mythoughtsonthings.com/archi ... redit-card

Yes, i saw those work around, but after reading it involves changined the sim carrier for the moments of the download, putting my NZ sim was just as fast,

but i fail to see how the app will work when you go to pay with your chilean card, because you have to choose the counrtry of the credit card, and then provide an address, i have tried it before with my USA Miami Mailbox with my Chilean credit card, google denied me and marked the payment as fraudulant....

so nz card with nz sim was a sure thing....

I also found the pirated version of all the apps i wanted in chile, but hey, i like things to work easy, paying a little amount of money for a problem free install is not a problem
guess this is a reason chilean pirate!

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm

otravers wrote:I have the same phone and was similarly aggravated by Google's screwed up marketplace. Search the web and you'll see people are pissed off about this all over the world, not just in Chile. Just search the web for the name of your application +apk and you'll usually find officious copies. That's how I got Skype or Chrome to Phone. Yes even some free applications are not available everywhere! This is retarded beyond comprehension (yeah yeah I know all the bullshit official reasons like pandering to phone carriers - it's still diamond-grade stupid). Just like with the absence of any decent and affordable online music service in Chile, my answer to this nonsense is: "you know what, you won't sell it to me so I'll get it for free."

Thanks for the heads up on chrome and skype.... i see skype released VOIP over 3g today.,,,, have to try it out! didnt know there was free apps blocked also!

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Ripsigg wrote:Iphone=ugh :mrgreen:

If you haven't already, root your phone and use the link for that market enabler a few posts back up.

Another option? If you got a US amazon account, load up the Amazon Appstore. Google for it or just visit Amazon.com in your browser and look for a link to it. Amazon has their very own market of apps and they promise a different paid app for free everyday.

You can also use Amazon to buy Mp3s without DRM that you can store in the Amazon cloud(to stream on your Android phone whenever you want) as well as download to put on any device.

I frankly can't imagine why anyone would even bother buying an Iphone anymore?!?

apple = axis of evil, wheres bush when yo need him!

PenquistaDeCorazon

Postby PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I guess this is where PX says.
Welcome to Chile. Here.... Have a dropped call.

Spang

Postby Spang » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 pm

otravers wrote: "you know what, you won't sell it to me so I'll get it for free."

Unrelated to Android phones, but my god I agree with this statement so much, being from the UK which is where of most of my online shopping accounts are, and when I try to buy something this pops up 'Sorry we can't sell you this product in your current region'.

That message drives me up the wall, I could understand if it came from a US website as it would be cheaper for me to buy but from a UK one where I'm paying a premium for the product, surely it would be in their interest to sell it to me but no they rather that I resort to other means to acquire what I want. Bastards!

Return to “Lobby”