How does a former expat obtain a Chilean police certificate?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:22 pm

How does a former expat obtain a Chilean police certificate?

Postby Andelina » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I lived as an expat in Chile back for two years in the mid-90s, and returned to the States back in 1997. While in Chile I had a cedula and a RUT number; however, I've moved several times over the past 12 years and both are now loooooong gone! My husband is British and we've live in the US now for 6+ years However, if we ever decide to move to the UK, I would need to obtain a Chilean police certificate for my UK immigration paperwork since I lived in Chile for more than one year. This police certificate will basically say that I have no criminal record in Chile, but I would still need to supply it.

The problem is that without having my cedula or even knowing my RUT number, I'm not sure how I'd go about obtaining this police certificate. (In fact, I'm not really sure about how I would go about obtaining my police certificate from the United States even if I DID have my cedula/RUT!) Also, my US passport is in my married name, which is different than the name I had back in 1995-97, and I assume that only complicates matters.

Bear in mind that I'm NOT looking to emigrate to the UK any time soon, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to investigate this now. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated!


User avatar
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:21 pm
Location: Arica, Chile

Re: How does a former expat obtain a Chilean police certificate?

Postby tombrad2 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:40 pm

I am not 100% sure but I guess what you need is not a Chilean police certificate but a Certificado de Antecedentes from Registro Civil e Identificacion,
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 14719
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile

Re: How does a former expat obtain a Chilean police certificate?

Postby admin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Yea, that is harder one than it would seem on the surface.

You MUST request police records in person. You can not even do it through a power of attorney.

One option you might try is the Chilean consulate near where you are. They can provide most civil registry requests. Even if they have to send the request back to Chile because they do not have direct access to the database, they might be able to officially receive the request. I would recommend you try a couple diffrent consulates, if the first one says they can not do it. Service can be kind of inconsistent from consulate to consulate.

If that fails, your next stop is most likly a trip to Santiago to request it in person.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Return to “Legal Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests