Camping in Valle del Elqui/La Serena/Vicuña

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
wiscondinavian

Camping in Valle del Elqui/La Serena/Vicuña

Postby wiscondinavian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Any camping suggestions in the area?

Looking for a place for some young adults, not necesisarily family friendly!

:D

zer0nz

Re: Camping in Valle del Elqui/La Serena/Vicuña

Postby zer0nz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:55 pm

95% of camping in chile is not family friendly...... just googling and see what you find, most places here are so informal might not even be open certain times of year, you just drive till you find one and go in!, prices vary....

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:18 pm

zer0nz wrote:95% of camping in chile is not family friendly...... just googling and see what you find, most places here are so informal might not even be open certain times of year, you just drive till you find one and go in!, prices vary....

Public transport, yo.... :o

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
zer0nz wrote:95% of camping in chile is not family friendly...... just googling and see what you find, most places here are so informal might not even be open certain times of year, you just drive till you find one and go in!, prices vary....

Ahh, in that case my recommendation is to try and find places walking distance from vicuña or pisco elqui town centers or bus terminals, as the whole area is not the easiest to get around without cars....
and start saving money for pisco elqui, the restaurants although good are a little on the expensive side... there is a mini mart or 2 in pisco elqui.....

If you want to go to the brewery tour or pisco tour from vicuña your going to have to find a tour or cab as neither are really in a convenient location...

the observatory tour leaves from town center in vicuña...

as for actual camping places, google will be your friend :)

la serena. the beach is not near the town center... well it is.. but not walkable! lots of colectivos in the area tho!

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 pm

zer0nz wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:

Ahh, in that case my recommendation is to try and find places walking distance from vicuña or pisco elqui town centers or bus terminals, as the whole area is not the easiest to get around without cars....
and start saving money for pisco elqui, the restaurants although good are a little on the expensive side... there is a mini mart or 2 in pisco elqui.....

If you want to go to the brewery tour or pisco tour from vicuña your going to have to find a tour or cab as neither are really in a convenient location...

the observatory tour leaves from town center in vicuña...

as for actual camping places, google will be your friend :)

la serena. the beach is not near the town center... well it is.. but not walkable! lots of colectivos in the area tho!

Great, yeah, I've been googling around and I've found quite a few places (a couple with good reviews), but in typical Chilean fashion, no prices for most of the camping sites.

I think we'll be sticking around Pisco Elqui, but we'll see. What started into a nice weekend for my fiance and me has turned into a 10-person group trip... oops...

Oh yeah... and we're leaving tomorrow (some people leaving tonight, lol).

I've actually been in the valley, but a) it was with my sister so we stayed in hostels and b) it was with my sister so money wasn't an issue (I need friends who make more money :P)

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Uh oh.... so some of my friends already made it there, and none of the camping sites are open. Out of season. Oh dear...

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:Uh oh.... so some of my friends already made it there, and none of the camping sites are open. Out of season. Oh dear...

we are camping this weekend (cajon del maipo), and they are open..... (i made a reservation as we are doing other things) keep trying :),

try one of the places that have cabañas and camping in pisco elqui, chances are they will be open... a little bit more expensive, but open...

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 pm

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:30 pm

also "Rancho Rodríguez" apparently is open and allows camping....

Andres

Postby Andres » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:03 pm

created a Pisco Elqui allchile wiki article for PE visitors to add data:
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... isco_Elqui
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 am

zer0nz wrote:also "Rancho Rodríguez" apparently is open and allows camping....

...el rancho es un peladero, es para ir a carretiar y punto, en pisco elqui el que es muy bonito es el refugio del angel y cuesta lo mismo que el rancho.
http://www.conducechile.cl/sitio/foro/e ... iv-region/

Maybe its quieter in Low Season but Rancho Rodríguez is notorious in summertime, the council have shut it down in the past.

There is a nice one in Las Rojas; its where the locals go...
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 am

fraggle092 wrote:
zer0nz wrote:also "Rancho Rodríguez" apparently is open and allows camping....

...el rancho es un peladero, es para ir a carretiar y punto, en pisco elqui el que es muy bonito es el refugio del angel y cuesta lo mismo que el rancho.
http://www.conducechile.cl/sitio/foro/e ... iv-region/

Maybe its quieter in Low Season but Rancho Rodríguez is notorious in summertime, the council have shut it down in the past.

There is a nice one in Las Rojas; its where the locals go...

haha yeah i saw that review, and thought the OP would probably appreciate the "non family" vibe... :) with a bit of "only place available".....

Her friends, i wont assume what culture they are already concluded that "nothing is open" :P

Return to “Travel in Chile”